Suicide Bomber Hits U.S. Embassy in Turkey

By
People stand outside the entrance of the US Embassy in Ankara just after a blast killed two security guards and wounded several other people on February 1, 2013. The United States confirmed on February 1 that its embassy in Ankara had been hit by a 'terrorist' bomb attack and said American officials were working with Turkish investigators. 'We can confirm a terrorist blast at a check point on the perimeter of our embassy compound in Ankara, Turkey, at 1:13 p.m. local time,' State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in a statement.
Photo: AVUZ OZDEN/AFP/Getty Images

An attack at the American embassy in Ankara, Turkey, left two people dead and wounded a journalist today, the New York Times reports. Initial information indicates that the bomber detonated an explosive belt at a security entrance, killing himself and 47-year-old Mustafa Akarsu, a Turkish man working as a guard. Local media said the far-left Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front was behind the attack, Reuters reports, which comes four months after a deadly assault on the U.S. diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya. White House spokesman Jay Carney said this afternoon that "the attack itself is clearly an act of terror."