On Saturday, new Pope Francis took a quick helicopter ride from the Vatican to Castel Gandolfo, the summer papal retreat that is currently home to the guy now known as Pope Emeritus Benedict. After embracing on the tarmac, the two men — dressed in matching white, with Francis looking slightly fancier with his cape and sash — made their way into the chapel, where Francis refused the pew-of-honor because "we are brothers, we pray together." (He later offered Benedict a statuette of the "Madonna of Humility" in appreciation for the "many signs of humility and gentleness in your pontificate.") The prayer session was followed by lunch and private discussion in the library, where the pair discussed, among other issues, the secret VatiLeaks report Benedict commissioned shortly before his resignation. Afterward, Francis headed back to Rome, having confirmed that he has no immediate plans to throw his predecessor in prison, which is what happened the last time a current and former pope met.
- 1. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 2. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 3. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 4. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 5. Kate Middleton "Dares" to Wear a Dress Three Times
- 6. The Heritage Uncertainty Principle
- 7. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 8. A Ranking of 11 Movie Franchises, TV Shows, and Book Series That Ended in 2013
- 9. Watch Amy Poehler and Billy Eichner Force People to Sing Christmas Carols on the Street