Oberlin College in Ohio canceled classes today in favor of "A Day of Solidarity" after someone in a KKK-style hood and robe was spotted near the school's Afrikan Heritage House, the latest in a string of bizarre "hate-related incidents." Throughout February, according to the Oberlin Review, the word black was replaced with the N-word on Black History Month flyers; the LGBTQ center was defaced; swastikas have been spotted around campus; and at least one robbery included remarks about the victim's ethnicity. "We hope today will allow the entire community — students, faculty, and staff — to make a strong statement about the values that we cherish here at Oberlin: inclusion, respect for others, and a strong and abiding faith in the worth of every individual," the administration said. The liberal arts school is about 72 percent white, 6 percent black, and 6 percent Hispanic.
- 1. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 2. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 3. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 4. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 5. Kate Middleton "Dares" to Wear a Dress Three Times
- 6. The Heritage Uncertainty Principle
- 7. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 8. A Ranking of 11 Movie Franchises, TV Shows, and Book Series That Ended in 2013
- 9. Watch Amy Poehler and Billy Eichner Force People to Sing Christmas Carols on the Street