Oberlin College in Ohio canceled classes today in favor of "A Day of Solidarity" after someone in a KKK-style hood and robe was spotted near the school's Afrikan Heritage House, the latest in a string of bizarre "hate-related incidents." Throughout February, according to the Oberlin Review, the word black was replaced with the N-word on Black History Month flyers; the LGBTQ center was defaced; swastikas have been spotted around campus; and at least one robbery included remarks about the victim's ethnicity. "We hope today will allow the entire community — students, faculty, and staff — to make a strong statement about the values that we cherish here at Oberlin: inclusion, respect for others, and a strong and abiding faith in the worth of every individual," the administration said. The liberal arts school is about 72 percent white, 6 percent black, and 6 percent Hispanic.
- 1. Warning: You Will Cry a Little When You Watch This Oklahoma Woman Find Her Dog in the Rubble
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. 5 Insane Videos of the Tornado in Moore, Oklahoma
- 4. Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner on Sansa’s Wedding Day and Drunk Tyrion
- 5. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 6. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 7. Arrested Development’s 20 Most Meta Meta-Moments
- 8. Tramp Stamps: A Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?
- 9. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig