Oberlin College in Ohio canceled classes today in favor of "A Day of Solidarity" after someone in a KKK-style hood and robe was spotted near the school's Afrikan Heritage House, the latest in a string of bizarre "hate-related incidents." Throughout February, according to the Oberlin Review, the word black was replaced with the N-word on Black History Month flyers; the LGBTQ center was defaced; swastikas have been spotted around campus; and at least one robbery included remarks about the victim's ethnicity. "We hope today will allow the entire community — students, faculty, and staff — to make a strong statement about the values that we cherish here at Oberlin: inclusion, respect for others, and a strong and abiding faith in the worth of every individual," the administration said. The liberal arts school is about 72 percent white, 6 percent black, and 6 percent Hispanic.
- 1. The Real Reason Twentysomething Women Are Worried
- 2. Can You Guess Famous 30 Rock Quotes From Just a GIF or Freeze-Frame?
- 3. ‘Breathe Me’: The Oral History of the Six Feet Under Finale’s Death Montage
- 4. What the Hell Is David Brooks’s Column About?
- 5. Interview: Blake Lively on the Cheesecake Factory, Gucci, and Her New Website
- 6. See Every Absurd Outfit Jennifer Love Hewitt Wears on Season One of The Client List
- 7. Bloomberg Reacts to Heartbreaking Story of Homeless Girl: ‘That’s Just the Way God Works’
- 8. Shia LaBeouf Apologizes for Ripping Off Daniel Clowes
- 9. ‘Splat!’: The Oral History of Sex and the City’s Most Shocking Episode