Tom Allon was never going to win the Republican nomination for mayor, let alone the race for City Hall. Still, it’s too bad he just announced that he’s dropping out of the contest. Allon’s background — former teacher at Stuyvesant turned owner of Manhattan Media — gave him a range of experience different from career politicians. And lately Allon had become much better as a campaigner. He was willing to speak bluntly about the problems in the city’s public education system and offer unconventional ideas about how to improve it. That’s a necessary role in debates. Maybe now that he’s a civilian again Allon can continue to push both Republicans and Democrats as a moderator.
Photo: Michael Loccisano/Getty Images
- 1. The Highs and Lows of The Sound of Music Live
- 2. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 3. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 4. 30 of the Best Ponytails in History
- 5. The Whispered Attacks That Could Sink This Year's Oscar Contenders
- 6. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 7. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 8. 17 Awesome and Inspiring Facts About Nelson Mandela
- 9. Shonda Rhimes Talks Scandal’s Brutal Season 3 and the Issue of Likability