Tough guy former MTA chief and current Republican mayoral hopeful Joe Lhota scoffed at Port Authority law enforcement in public last night, declaring that the agency doesn't do "a good enough job in anything they do, particularly in the area of security," and declaring, presciently, "I know I'm going to get in trouble for saying this, but they're nothing more than mall cops." Police unions, an influential voting bloc, were not pleased, and Lhota apologized, but only after getting burned: "I have guys dangling off the George Washington Bridge ... I have guys down in the Path train chasing armed robbers — and catching them," said the union head. "I don't know what kind of malls Joe hangs out at."
Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images2012 Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 3. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 4. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 5. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 6. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 7. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 8. Why Adult Women Squeal Like Teenage Girls Sometimes
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!