In a city of skyscrapers, the idea of horrible elevator accidents is particularly anxiety-producing, so it is with special sadness that we relay the story of Inunion Tursunov, who fell to his death at the Brooklyn Navy Yard Friday night while trying to crawl out of an elevator that stalled during a power outage. The details of the incident are particularly nightmarish: Sources told the New York Daily News that after the 25-year-old got stuck between the fourth and fifth floors, he "[felt] his way through the darkness" and managed to open both sets of elevator doors, only to slip and plummet to the bottom of the shaft. The Bensonhurst resident died shortly after arriving at Brooklyn Hospital. Always wait for help, people.
Photo: Ian McDonnell/Istockphoto
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 3. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 4. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 5. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 6. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 7. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 8. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!