A recently passed bill to allow the sale of sparklers in New York wouldn't even apply in the five boroughs, but Mayor Bloomberg is still urging Governor Cuomo to veto it, arguing that terrorists could use the fireworks to make a bomb. The mayor's office pointed to failed Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad, though he used fireworks containing gunpowder, which isn't found in sparklers. You can ponder whether the risks are worth it while making your annual pre-Fourth of July trek to Connecticut.
Photo: Spencer Platt/2013 Getty Images
- 1. The Highs and Lows of The Sound of Music Live
- 2. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 3. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 4. 30 of the Best Ponytails in History
- 5. The Whispered Attacks That Could Sink This Year's Oscar Contenders
- 6. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 7. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 8. 17 Awesome and Inspiring Facts About Nelson Mandela
- 9. Shonda Rhimes Talks Scandal’s Brutal Season 3 and the Issue of Likability