Jill Kelley, the Tampa socialite famous for not having an affair with a top U.S. general, has repeatedly said that she doesn't want to be in the spotlight, but she grudgingly made headlines on Monday by filing a lawsuit accusing the FBI and the Department of Defense of inappropriately rifling through her e-mails and leaking information to the press after she requested an investigation. "Today is an unforgettable day because one year ago threatening emails shook my life, and ultimately changed our country's leadership," Kelley said in a statement, adding, "This ill-fated day one year ago has made me an advocate for privacy rights for every American." As the lawsuit states, "If Defendants can wreak such emotional, reputational, and financial havoc on a couple as educated, intelligent, successful, and public-spirited as the Kelleys, they could certainly do so to anyone."
Photo: Chris O'Meara/APChris O'Meara/Corbis© Corbis. All Rights Reserved.
- 1. Barack Obama Is Not George W. Bush
- 2. BBC Interviews Random Guy on the Street About Airport Expansion; Random Guy Is the Fonz
- 3. Urban Outfitters May Have Gone Too Far With a Denim Tutu
- 4. See Every Absurd Outfit Jennifer Love Hewitt Wears on Season One of The Client List
- 5. ‘You Waited’: The Oral History of Donna Losing Her Virginity on Beverly Hills, 90210
- 6. See How Today’s TV Kids Have Aged
- 7. ‘And I Cannot Lie’: The Oral History of Sir Mix-a-Lot’s ‘Baby Got Back’ Video
- 8. ‘Blessing in Disguise’: The Oral History of Parks and Recreation’s the Cones of Dunshire Board Game
- 9. Sam Youngman Is This Town