After a string of health scares, including a bout of pneumonia in April, the former president of South Africa has been hospitalized and is currently in "serious but stable condition." The BBC reports that the 94-year-old had been ill for a few days with a recurring lung infection, and was transferred to a hospital in Pretoria when his health deteriorated last night. His wife, Graca Machel, cancelled a Saturday London appearance to be with her husband, while a presidential spokesman said that Mandela breathing on his own "is a positive sign."
Photo: Gareth Davies/2008 Getty Images
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. 12 Years a Slave and the Obama Era
- 3. What’s New on Netflix Streaming This Month: December 2013
- 4. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 5. Atheist Billboard in Times Square Specifically Designed to Make Sarah Palin’s Head Explode
- 6. How to Have Sex in Communal Living Spaces
- 7. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 8. Is This the World’s Worst Selfie?
- 9. QuizUp Is the Fastest-Growing iPhone Game in History: Here Are Its Creator’s Secrets