At Coney Island, it's not unusual for the Astro Tower to sway in the breeze, according to Dick Zigun, the unofficial mayor of the neighborhood. But when it did so on Tuesday, the movement was scary enough that operators decided to evacuate large areas of the amusement district, including Luna Park, the Cyclone, and an adjacent lot. "Maybe six times a year it sways to the point where it would shock you if you didn’t know better," Zigun told the New York Daily News. This was apparently one of those times.
Photo: Mark Armendariz / Flickr
- 1. The Real Reason Twentysomething Women Are Worried
- 2. Can You Guess Famous 30 Rock Quotes From Just a GIF or Freeze-Frame?
- 3. ‘Breathe Me’: The Oral History of the Six Feet Under Finale’s Death Montage
- 4. What the Hell Is David Brooks’s Column About?
- 5. Interview: Blake Lively on the Cheesecake Factory, Gucci, and Her New Website
- 6. See Every Absurd Outfit Jennifer Love Hewitt Wears on Season One of The Client List
- 7. Bloomberg Reacts to Heartbreaking Story of Homeless Girl: ‘That’s Just the Way God Works’
- 8. Shia LaBeouf Apologizes for Ripping Off Daniel Clowes
- 9. ‘Splat!’: The Oral History of Sex and the City’s Most Shocking Episode