Andy Murray does not take losing well. He's broken rackets in Dubai and Japan, and on Thursday he smashed another one in Queens, when he lost in straight sets to Stanislas Wawrinka in the U.S. Open quarterfinal in Flushing Meadows. The defending champion, from Great Britain, played a "surprisingly short, less-than-competitive match" that he lost 6–4, 6–3, 6–2. As is his wont, he did not react kindly. "After one set, Andy Murray slammed his racket into the court, then mangled it once he reached his chair on the sideline. After the second, he gestured over to his coach, Ivan Lendl, and let out a frustrated scream," the Associated Press reports via ESPN. Wawrinka, who has been known to break a racket or two in his time, called Murray "a tough opponent." Perhaps Murray was just pissed he doesn't have one of these in his backyard.
Photo: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
- 1. Beyoncé Just Dropped an Album With No Warning
- 2. Jody Rosen’s Snap Judgments on Beyoncé’s Surprise New Album
- 3. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 4. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 5. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 6. Kate Middleton "Dares" to Wear a Dress Three Times
- 7. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 8. The Heritage Uncertainty Principle
- 9. Megyn Kelly Called In Sick Last Night