With a bit more than a day to go before it expires, the Kickstarter to fund New York City Opera has hit barely more than a quarter of its $1 million goal. The company entered the weekend having raised less than a quarter of the $7 million it says it needs in total to keep going after the end of this month, according to the New York Times. And it's apparently pursuing a donor known to have stiffed the Metropolitan Opera in the recent past, according to Gawker. The opera company "has said that it has raised $1.5 million outside of Kickstarter," the Los Angeles Times reports, but that's still very short of the $7 million. "City Opera’s board voted on Thursday to begin filing for bankruptcy and start dismantling itself if that goal was not met by Monday," the Times reports. So short of a very rich opera fan swooping in at the last minute, City Opera sadly appears doomed.
Photo: NYC Opera / Facebook/Courtesy shot
- 1. The Highs and Lows of The Sound of Music Live
- 2. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 3. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 4. The Whispered Attacks That Could Sink This Year's Oscar Contenders
- 5. 17 Awesome and Inspiring Facts About Nelson Mandela
- 6. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 7. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 8. 30 of the Best Ponytails in History
- 9. Shonda Rhimes Talks Scandal’s Brutal Season 3 and the Issue of Likability