A protest over a student center's closure at City College of New York turned violent on Thursday, and in the chaos, campus police pepper-sprayed and then arrested one protester they said used a toddler as a human shield. Predictably, the college's version of events and the protester's version differ: The school released a statement that said "a nonstudent, using his child as a shield, tried unsuccessfully to bypass public safety officers and enter the Administration Building." But student activist leaders told DNAinfo that the man, "who is an alumnus of City College, was retreating with his toddler when campus police moved aggressively toward him with barricades." Fortunately, the kid was safe, but it seems like a no-brainer that toddlers, protests, and pepper spray don't mix well.
Photo: UStream / Occupy Your Mind TV
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 3. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 4. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 5. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 6. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 7. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 8. Why Adult Women Squeal Like Teenage Girls Sometimes
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!