Police charged eleven and arrested an alleged Alphabet City drug kingpin after a nearly two-year investigation that involved wiretapped cell phones and undercover officers, with scenes that sound like they're straight out of The Wire. In order to get close to Dwayne Mitchell, who allegedly ran the crack trade on Avenue D, investigators used an undercover officer and tapped the cell phones of his crew. He allegedly ran his operation from a courtyard in the Jacob Riis Houses. "Prosecutors say Mr. Mitchell held court there, using cellphones to transact business and dispatching members of his group to make sales," the New York Times reported. It's reminiscent of Marlo Stanfield in that concrete park from the show, though apparently Mitchell wasn't as careful.
Photo: Spencer Platt/Getty Images2012 Getty Images
- 1. Congressional Republicans Reveal Secret Love for Obamacare
- 2. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 3. Sons of Anarchy’s Kurt Sutter on the Season-6 Finale and What’s Next for Jax and Gemma
- 4. Adam Levine’s Third Victoria’s Secret Model Girlfriend Gets a Ring
- 5. Sons of Anarchy’s Maggie Siff on Tara and Jax, and the Heartbreaking Season-6 Finale
- 6. Dakota Fanning Looked Like a Luxe Chanel Piñata
- 7. Congress Reaches Deal to End Budget Chaos, Angers Conservatives
- 8. Michelle Not Actually Mad at Obama Selfie, Says Photographer
- 9. And This Year’s SAG Award Nominees Are ...