Skip to content, or skip to search.

Skip to content, or skip to search.

awful things

Chemistry Experiment Fireball Injures Upper West Side High School Students

Two students at the Upper West Side's Beacon School were hospitalized Thursday morning after they were burned by a chemistry experiment gone awry. The New York Daily News reports that teacher Amanda Poole was "burning various metal flakes to create multicolored flames, when a blast shook her lab ... and spat out a fireball." According to a kid who was in the room, the fire "jumped" onto a 16-year-old male student, who was "burned from his torso up to his hair." 

The witness continued, "Literally, his left side of his hair, I could not see. This side of his ear, the left, was twisted. His skin was melting. His eyelids were kind of messed up. His skin, a lot of it was melting. I was like, 'Wow.'" Another teacher, Michael Shum, reportedly put out the fire by covering the teenager with a blanket, and Poole doused the flames with a fire extinguisher. The boy is being treated for second-degree burns, including possible damage to his airways. Meanwhile, a 16-year-old girl is receiving treatment for first-degree burns on her hands.

Students told the paper that Poole is a "stickler" when it comes to safety, and the experiment — which was intended to be a "fun" demonstration — is a common one. The Department of Education and the FDNY are investigating the incident, which sounds truly awful for everyone involved.

0
Photo: Shutterstock