Guilty Again, Amanda Knox’s Ex-Boyfriend Took a Trip to the Border

By
Raffaele Sollecito leaves the Nuovo Palazzo di Giustizia courthouse of Florence during a break of the final verdict of the Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito retrial on January 30, 2014 in Florence, Italy.  Meredith Kercher was murdered in her bedroom on November 1st, 2007 in Perugia. On March 25, 2013 the verdict that declared Knox and Sollecito innocent and accused Rudy Guede of the murder was cancelled and the trial had to restart in Florence.  (Photo by Franco Origlia/Getty Images)
Photo: Franco Origlia/Getty Images

Reconvicted in the 2007 murder of Meredith Kercher in Italy, doomed couple Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito are handling their shared circumstances in very different ways. Although he was in Florentine court earlier on Thursday, Sollecito was not present for the verdict. Today, he was picked up at a hotel 200 miles away, near the Austrian border, where he definitely wasn’t trying to escape, according to his lawyer. “Raffaele Sollecito had no intention of fleeing,” said the attorney, who claimed Sollecito’s new girlfriend just happened to live around there.

Sollecito was sentenced to 25 years yesterday, and Knox 28 and a half, in a reversal of their 2011 appeal. The two may now appeal again, and the new ruling must still be confirmed by a higher court. In the meantime, Sollecito is free to travel within Italy, although his passport has been confiscated.

Knox, meanwhile, appeared on Good Morning America today. “It really hit me like a train,” she said of the verdict. “I did not expect this to happen. I really expected so much better from the Italian justice system. They found me innocent once before.” They also found her guilty once before.

Knox could eventually face extradition to Italy. “I will never go willingly back,” she said.


See more US News from ABC|ABC World News