Alleged Bitcoin Creator Says He Can’t Even Afford Internet Access

By
Photo: Jonathan Alcorn/Bloomberg via Getty Images

In what is probably not a good sign for Newsweek, Dorian Satoshi Nakamoto has denied once again that he's the creator of Bitcoin, this time via a letter released by his lawyer. "I am writing this statement to clear my name," says the 64-year-old California man, who was the focus of a cover story in the relaunched print edition earlier this month. In addition to noting that he mistakenly referred to it as "Bitcom" several times during an Associated Press interview, Nakamoto provides this new tidbit to prove he isn't the inventor of the hip crypto-currency: "I discontinued my internet service in 2013 due to severe financial distress."

Nakamoto goes on to explain that while he knows computer programming, he's not familiar with the technology behind Bitcoin, and hasn't been able to find a steady job in the field in the past decade. "My prospects for gainful employment has been harmed because of Newsweek's article," he writes.

The letter was tweeted early on Monday morning by lawyer Ethan Kirschner, who confirmed to Quartz that he's representing Nakamoto. He would not comment further, and it's unclear if Nakamoto plans to sue Newsweek – though it sounds like he's strongly considering trying to make a non-digital fortune in damages.