Former Murdoch Editor and Cameron Aide Will Face a Second Trial

By
(FILES) This file picture taken on September 10, 2010 shows Andy Coulson, former British Prime Minister David Cameron's Director of Communications and former News of the World editor leaving his home in London. British Prime Minister David Cameron said Friday July 8, 2011 he would establish a full public inquiry led by a judge into the News of the World scandal as one of his former aides faced arrest over phone hacking. In a hastily arranged press conference a day after Rupert Murdoch stunningly killed off the Sunday newspaper, Cameron said he took "full responsibility" for hiring former News of the World editor Andy Coulson as his media chief. AFP PHOTO / BEN STANSALL / FILES (Photo credit should read BEN STANSALL/AFP/Getty Images)
Photo: BEN STANSALL/2011 AFP

Last week, Andy Coulson became the only former Rupert Murdoch employee to be found guilty of conspiring to hack phones in pursuit of tabloid scoops. It seems that his bad luck is set to continue, as prosecutors have announced that they intend to retry the former News of the World chief and David Cameron aide (along with another disgraced NotW editor, Clive Goodman) for allegedly paying a Buckingham Palace police officer for two royal phone directories, since the jury was unable to reach a verdict on those bribery charges in the original, 130-day trial. And so, more than three years in, the fallout from the News Corp. scandal will continue, regardless of whether anyone is really paying attention anymore.