On the fifth day of a ground war in Gaza, Israel has admitted to losing one of its own. Following a battle on Sunday, Hamas claimed it had captured a 21-year-old Israeli soldier, while Israel’s U.N. ambassador said “those rumors are untrue.” Today, the IDF said one man was indeed unaccounted for: “At this time, the remains of six of the seven soldiers involved in the incident have been identified,” Israel’s military explained in a statement. “Given the complexity of the incident, the identification efforts concerning the seventh soldier are ongoing. The IDF is in constant contact with the families of all seven soldiers.” Sergeant Oron Shaul may already be dead.
“That name corresponded with a name Hamas had provided in Arabic when it claimed the kidnapping of the soldier. Hamas also provided an Israeli identity number for the soldier,” the New York Times reports. However, he is “presumed dead,” according to Israel Hayom. “IDF officials think the most Hamas might have in its possession are identifying items taken from the scene of the attack.”
Still, the uncertainty could have consequences for the peace process as John Kerry continues negotiations in Cairo over a potential cease-fire. At least 27 Israeli soldiers and two civilians have been killed in the invasion so far.
The Palestinian health ministry said that at least four women were killed, including a pregnant woman, 25, whose home outside Beit Hanoun in northern Gaza was hit by an artillery shell. Another woman, 25, was killed in similar circumstances east of Rafah in southern Gaza and two more women, aged 70 and 50, died from Israeli fire, also in southern Gaza.
The ground operation has killed at least 130 Palestinians, bringing the total this month above 600. More than 3,700 people have been injured.