United States Sends 6 Guantánamo Bay Detainees to Uruguay

By
This image reviewed by the US military shows the front gate of "Camp Six" detention facility of the Joint Detention Group at the US Naval Station in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, January 19, 2012. An Al-Qaeda magazine was discovered after being smuggled into Guantanamo prison, a senior US official said January 18 amid a debate on new rules on mail inspections. Prison staff found an English-language copy of "Inspire" magazine which used to include such articles as how to make bombs, deputy military prosecutor Andrea Lockhart told a military tribunal hearing.          AFP PHOTO/Jim WATSON        (Photo credit should read JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images)
Photo: JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images2012 AFP

On Sunday morning, the Pentagon announced that six Guantánamo Bay detainees have been sent to Uruguay to be resettled. The men — Ahmed Adnan Ahjam, Ali Hussain Shaabaan, Omar Mahmoud Faraj, Abdul Bin Mohammed Abis Ourgy, Mohammed Tahanmatan, and Jihad Diyab — had been held in Cuba without trial for more than 12 years.

The New York Times reports that all six of the detainees were recommended for release in 2009, but they could not be sent home because their native countries are too unstable. (The group consists of four Syrians, one Tunisian, and one Palestinian.) Uruguay’s president, José Mujica, agreed to take them in March, though Uruguay’s presidential election and some stalling on the party of soon-to-be former secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel delayed the transfer until now. From the Times:

Now President Obama only has 136 inmates left to deal with before he can achieve his stated goal of closing Guantánamo.