Subway Rider Accidentally Burns Himself With Acid

By
A Number 7 subway train waits for passengers at the Times Square, 42nd Street station, Manhattan, New York City, USA
Photo: Wendy Connett/flickr/Getty Images

Not content with worrying about falling on the tracks or having a rat scurry across his shoe, one straphanger decided to supply his own subway horror. A man riding an uptown D train through Midtown on Thursday sustained chemical burns when the acidic cleaning fluid in his pocket leaked and burned through his clothes. He was transported to the hospital from the 42nd St.–Bryant Park station and treated for non-life-threatening injuries. The Daily News reports “police want to find out why he was carrying the acidic cleaning fluid,” which does seem like an excellent question.