February is the cruelest month. It was bitterly cold, everyone kept getting a stomach virus, and my horoscope — which promised everything from professional acclaim to a romantic getaway — was even more wrong than Inhofe is about climate change. But it’s the last Friday of the month, which means we’re almost free of February’s dastardly clutches. And Spring is only 21 days away! Here are seven good things to kick off your weekend.
1. For a brief moment, we too were llamas running free. Llets get this one out of the way first: This week’s llama drama was something we all needed to help shake us out of the winter doldrums. If you missed it, don’t worry — we GIF-recapped it for you.
2. A girl kidnapped from the hospital 17 years ago was found by her family after she unknowingly befriended her biological sister. The unnamed South African girl was raised by her kidnapper not far from where her biological family lived, but didn’t learn about their existence until she became friends with her younger sister when they attended the same high school. Their uncanny resemblance and immediate connection led her friend’s parents to request a DNA test, which confirmed she was their daughter. The happy family was reunited on Thursday and plans to have a birthday celebration for her.
3. The FCC passed Net Neutrality measures, guaranteeing a free and open internet. The proposal, passed with a 3–2 vote, says internet companies “can’t discriminate when it comes to Internet traffic,” meaning they can’t make certain sites load faster than others. Netflix for all!
5. Bald eagles are back from the brink of extinction. The number of bald eagle pairs has increased ten times since 1976, putting our national bird at a much lesser risk of extinction. But they’re not out of the woods yet, so don’t go hunting any eagles, please.
6. A disgusting video that went viral turned out to be a hoax. This is one of the few times we’ve been happy something on the internet turned out to be fake. The viral video, which yielded the Gawker post “It Sure Looks Like This Florida Man Vaped His Buddy’s Cum,” turned out to look like that but not actually be that. Instead, the substance the man vaped was “sardine juice mixed with vegetable glycerine,” which sounds almost as gross. (Almost.)
7. This bird showed that he’s a better dancer than you. Just look at that rhythm.