Video Appears to Show Paris Attackers in ISIS Territory

By
Image
A screengrab from the new video.

A video released by ISIS on Sunday appears to show the nine men who carried out the November 13 terrorist attacks in Paris participating in earlier executions in Syria and Iraq. If the footage is verified, it will prove that the attackers plotted the massacre from within ISIS territory, rather than being merely inspired by the terrorist group.

The militants, all of whom died in the attack and its aftermath, are identified by their nationalities in the video. Seven of the men, four Belgians and two Frenchmen, speak fluent French, and two others identified as Iraqis speak Arabic. According to Reuters, the militants offer their final statements and several are shown participating in beheadings. “These are the last messages of the nine lions of the caliphate who were mobilized from their lairs to make a whole country, France, get down on its knees,” says the narrator.

The 17-minute video begins with a montage of news reports about the Paris attacks. As the New York Times notes, it’s unclear why ISIS waited so long to release footage of the attackers. 

The message concludes with a threat against the U.K., featuring footage of Prime Minister David Cameron and the U.K.’s vote last year to join the coalition conducting airstrikes against ISIS in Syria. The terrorist group released video suggesting it plans to attack Washington, D.C., and New York shortly after the Paris massacre. A British government spokesperson told The Guardian, “We are currently examining this latest Daesh propaganda video — another desperate move from an appalling terrorist group that is clearly in decline.”