What Is the Doomsday Clock, and What Makes It Tick?
The Doomsday Clock has made appearances in everything from Smashing Pumpkins songs to superhero movies to U.N. speeches, and this June marks the 70th anniversary of its creation. The dozens of scientists on its advisory board consider a handful of threats facing the future of humanity each time they adjust its minute hand: The election of President Donald J. Trump recently set the clock forward to two-and-a-half minutes to midnight.
- At Least 17 Dead in Florida School Shooting
- A Look at Kim Jong Un’s Sister and Her Role in North Korea’s Regime
- Does Trump Have a Future in Hair Commercials?
- Trump’s Stock-Market Reality Check
- Mothers Are Fighting for Gun-Policy Reform
- Lawmakers Turned the Government Shutdown Into a Blame Game
- The Long-term Damage of a Government Shutdown
- 5 Questions About North Korea You’re Afraid to Ask
- The Worst Defenses of Trump’s Racist Comments on Immigration
- The Deportation Administration: What’s at Stake
- Foreign-Policy Experts React to Trump’s Jerusalem Decision
- Trump’s War on the Media Has Been Years in the Making
- Donald Trump Is His Own Worst Enemy
- Let’s Look at What Trump Has Actually Said Publicly About His Putin Relationship
- Here’s What Trump Has Said on Major Policy Issues Before and After Being Elected