The first at-bat of Marcus Thames's career was June 10, 2002, when he homered off Randy Johnson in an interleague game at Yankee Stadium. The best season for the former Yankees farmhand was a 26-homer mash for the Tigers in 2006. His mother suffered severe spinal injuries in a car crash. He hit the ball that inspired this picture. The Yankees traded him for Ruben Sierra. And now he is a Yankee again, per SI.com's Jon Heyman. With Thames, Nick Johnson, and Javier Vazquez, it appears the Yankees are trying to sign everyone they once jettisoned. So, look for Johnny Damon next year.
Photo: Jed Jacobson/Getty Images
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. 12 Years a Slave and the Obama Era
- 3. What’s New on Netflix Streaming This Month: December 2013
- 4. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 5. Atheist Billboard in Times Square Specifically Designed to Make Sarah Palin’s Head Explode
- 6. How to Have Sex in Communal Living Spaces
- 7. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 8. Is This the World’s Worst Selfie?
- 9. QuizUp Is the Fastest-Growing iPhone Game in History: Here Are Its Creator’s Secrets