As Mets pitchers and catchers report to Port St. Lucie, and David Wright says the Mets are planning on winning the World Series, we take a look at what Baseball Prospectus 2010 has to say about this year's Mets. They're surprisingly bullish! There's a convincing piece by Will Carroll about how last year's injury woes were an unprecedented historical anomaly rather than a systemic problem, and the essay that starts off the Mets chapter says they "could easily compete for a playoff spot in 2010." As for individual players: Carlos Beltran has "a secret Hall of Fame career going on under our noses"; Jeff Francoeur will remain "an out machine"; fans should be a little worried about prospect Fernando Martinez; Daniel Murphy has no business as a first baseman; Josh Thole is a stud in the making; no one has any idea if David Wright will hit homers again; John Maine will be fine; and K-Rod is due for a major drop-off. Add all those up ... you know, it doesn't sound quite as bullish anymore.
Photo: Christian Petersen/Getty Images
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. 12 Years a Slave and the Obama Era
- 3. What’s New on Netflix Streaming This Month: December 2013
- 4. How to Have Sex in Communal Living Spaces
- 5. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 6. Atheist Billboard in Times Square Specifically Designed to Make Sarah Palin’s Head Explode
- 7. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 8. Is This the World’s Worst Selfie?
- 9. Why You’re So Sad About Paul Walker’s Death