It's quite possible that you hadn't seen old Yankee Stadium since your last visit to new Yankee Stadium, and it's likely that was months ago, when the structure itself was still standing, surrounded by scaffolding and that giant black curtain. Then, on Sunday, you may have seen the pictures in the Daily News of a section of the upper deck coming down via some sort of crane-and-pulley system. But, if you'd like to see more images of your childhood being torn down piece by piece, we direct you to demolitionofyankeestadium.com (and to this Flickr photostream), where you may be surprised to find out how far along they actually are. (Comparatively speaking, of course: Shea Stadium was down about twenty minutes after the 2008 season ended, if memory serves.) Anyway, the high exterior bleacher walls are already gone, calling to mind this iconic shot of Joe DiMaggio from the seventies renovation. For what it's worth, Gate 2 appears to still be standing, for now. Either way: cue the Sinatra.
Photo: Gary Dunaier's flickr
- 1. The Real Reason Twentysomething Women Are Worried
- 2. Can You Guess Famous 30 Rock Quotes From Just a GIF or Freeze-Frame?
- 3. ‘Breathe Me’: The Oral History of the Six Feet Under Finale’s Death Montage
- 4. What the Hell Is David Brooks’s Column About?
- 5. Interview: Blake Lively on the Cheesecake Factory, Gucci, and Her New Website
- 6. See Every Absurd Outfit Jennifer Love Hewitt Wears on Season One of The Client List
- 7. Bloomberg Reacts to Heartbreaking Story of Homeless Girl: ‘That’s Just the Way God Works’
- 8. Shia LaBeouf Apologizes for Ripping Off Daniel Clowes
- 9. ‘Splat!’: The Oral History of Sex and the City’s Most Shocking Episode