The Sports Section would like to formally congratulate the New Jersey Nets for winning for the third time in their last four games, beating a depleted Spurs team 90–84. The win matters because it is the Nets' tenth, one more than the 1972–73 Philadelphia 76ers, the team with the worst record in NBA history. So, the final year in East Rutherford won't end up being historic after all. Fitting: With a chance for the Nets to be sent out in a blaze of ignominy, they instead exit with the typical dribble of emptiness. These Nets coulda been somebody. They coulda been legends. Stupid three wins in four games.
Photo: Chris McGrath/Getty Images
- 1. Warning: You Will Cry a Little When You Watch This Oklahoma Woman Find Her Dog in the Rubble
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. 5 Insane Videos of the Tornado in Moore, Oklahoma
- 4. Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner on Sansa’s Wedding Day and Drunk Tyrion
- 5. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 6. Arrested Development’s 20 Most Meta Meta-Moments
- 7. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 8. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig
- 9. Tramp Stamps: A Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?