The Minnesota Twins, preparing to open their brand-new freezing ballpark, had been hoping to announce a long-term extension with hometown boy and 2009 American League MVP Joe Mauer by the first game at the new building. That hasn't happened yet, and the Yankees have noticed. The Daily News' Bill Madden reports that the Yanks have the money and talent to make a play. This, despite the Yankees having two of the top catching prospects in baseball in Jesus Montero and Austin Romine. Everyone in baseball other than Yankees fans are cheering for the Twins to keep Mauer away from the Yankees — one can imagine Mauer in pinstripes would be a serious talking point during the next labor negotiations — but that's no reason not to imagine it anyway. A Yankees team with Mauer batting second could win every sporting event known to man, including the Olympics and the Westminster Dog Show.
Photo: Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
- 1. Jody Rosen’s Snap Judgments on Beyoncé’s Surprise New Album
- 2. Beyoncé Just Dropped an Album With No Warning
- 3. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 4. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 5. Megyn Kelly Called In Sick Last Night
- 6. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 7. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 8. The Heritage Uncertainty Principle
- 9. Watch Amy Poehler and Billy Eichner Force People to Sing Christmas Carols on the Street