It is no shame to lose to the Cincinnati Reds, as the Mets did last night, as any Cardinals fan can tell you. (They have a two-game lead in the NL Central and are scaring the bejesus out of Redbird fans.) The Mets even fought back from a deep early deficit, darned near all the way. But it's still a bit worrisome that Mike Pelfrey had yet another bad game. It was his second lousy start in a row; in those two games, he has given up eleven earned runs and nineteen hits in nine and a third innings. A month ago his ERA was 2.39. Today, it's 3.39. The Mets are two games behind the Braves in the NL East and falling behind Minnesota in the Cliff Lee sweepstakes. Still, they're ahead in the wild-card race — magic number 80! — and Johan Santana is pitching tonight. Seriously, though: The Reds are scary.
Photo: Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
- 1. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 2. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 3. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 4. Dan Harmon Got Rehired for Community for the Same Reason He Got Fired
- 5. Man of Steel City Damage Professionally Estimated
- 6. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]
- 7. Serena Williams Issues Pathetic Non-Apology [Updated]
- 8. Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced to Prison [Updated]
- 9. Mad Men’s Kiernan Shipka on Smoking, Eye Rolls, and What’s Next for Poor Sally Draper