The Mets lost the rubber game of a three-game set against the first-place Cincinnati Reds last night, 3–1, despite an excellent game by Jon Niese. It's the first home series the Mets have lost in almost two months: It's always nice when that happens. Unfortunately, it pushed the Mets another game behind Atlanta in the NL East — they're three back now — though they still have their wild-card lead. (They're a half-game up on Colorado and Los Angeles, one and a half games up on St. Louis, two and a half on San Francisco, and three on Philadelphia.) We can't imagine that lasting too long, though, because Oliver Perez is coming back from his rehab assignment soon, and his absence is what started this hot Mets run in the first place. Oh, by the way, it sure has been fun watching catcher Josh Thole, hasn't it? Don't get too attached: He's the Mets' main trading chip for Cliff Lee, if it came to that. Anyway, the Mets have today off before a three-game series with those first-place Braves, so rest up. There's plenty else going on in sports today.
- 1. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 2. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 3. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 4. True Blood’s Kristin Bauer van Straten on the Pam-Tara Sex Scene We All Missed
- 5. Fucking on the First Date? How It Worked Out for 8 Women
- 6. Obama: I’m Not Dick Cheney, and Syria Isn’t Iraq
- 7. Rosen on Kanye West’s Yeezus: The Least Sexy Album of 2013
- 8. Mad Men Recap: The Importance of Being Bob
- 9. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]