According to the Daily News, Yankees owner George Steinbrenner has died at the age of 80. He died at 6:30 a.m. after suffering a massive heart attack early this morning. Steinbrenner just turned 80 last week and was at Yankee Stadium for Opening Day this year. It has been a very difficult week for Yankees fans, with the death of Bob Sheppard and now Steinbrenner, the man who has lorded over the city's sports scene for three decades. Bill Madden, the Daily News writer whose biography of Steinbrenner is still on the bestseller list, has an obit up.
Photo: Illustration by Lyndon Hayes
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig
- 3. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 4. Seitz: Look Past the Dragons in Game of Thrones
- 5. SNL Recap: Welcome Home, Ben Who-Fleck
- 6. Hofstra Student Killed by Police Bullet During Long Island Home Invasion
- 7. Kanye on SNL: Scowls, Screaming, The Waterboy
- 8. Tracing the Career of Tween-Lit Doyenne Judy Blume
- 9. East Williamsburg, Queens? Ridgewood, Brooklyn? WiRi?