One of the thousand reasons to love R.A. Dickey's emergence as a Mets mainstay this season: his off-field hobbies. More specific: Dickey, taking a cue from Kramer before him, has decided he want to be a ballboy at next year's U.S. Open. (He couldn't apply last year for this year's because he was in Rochester at the time, and no one would have let him.) The problem is that the USTA requires clean-shaven ballboys, and Dickey's beard is almost as famous as his knuckleball. The Times asked Dickey whether he'd be willing to shave, and he responded, awesomely, "I would prefer that they embrace me with beard. Especially for $7.75 an hour." He's the best. Also: Dickey's a free agent after this year, so the fact that he plans on being back here this time next year is a good thing. Plus, he'd look funny hopping across the net in between starts.
Photo: Christian Petersen/Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 3. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 4. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 5. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 6. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 7. Why Adult Women Squeal Like Teenage Girls Sometimes
- 8. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!
- 9. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013