One could argue that the entirety of Yankee Stadium — "The House That George Built" — is something of a monument to George Steinbrenner. But prior to the September 20 game against Tampa Bay, the Yankees will unveil a monument to the late owner in Monument Park — making him the sixth individual to be so honored. We'd actually have thought Steinbrenner would receive a plaque similar to the one dedicated to former owner Jacob Ruppert, but given the hierarchy of Yankee tributes (monument > retired number > plaque), it shouldn't come as a surprise that the Yankees will posthumously bestow their highest honor on the Boss. [NYP]
Photo: Eliot J. Schechter/Getty Images
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. 12 Years a Slave and the Obama Era
- 3. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 4. What’s New on Netflix Streaming This Month: December 2013
- 5. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 6. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 7. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 8. Mexican Gunmen Who Stole Truck Will ‘Without a Doubt’ Die From Radiation
- 9. Who Knows What Men Want on OkCupid — Men or Women?