No matter how much the Wilpons might make you bang your head against the wall, be grateful that Jeffrey Loria is not the owner of your team. Deadspin's leaking of MLB financial documents caused quite the ruckus around baseball — because of our past ties with Deadspin, we've had several baseball people nervously ask us if they have any more teams' numbers — but no team is hit harder than the Florida Marlins, which Jeff Passan gleefully vivisected in a Yahoo column last night. Enjoy his thorough takedown, and then be reminded, once again, that the Marlins are moving into a new stadium soon built with an extremely large percentage of public money. The tax breaks and public bonds the Mets and Yankees received to build their parks were frustrating. This is so, so much worse.
Photo: Doug Benc/Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 3. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 4. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 5. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 6. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 7. Why Adult Women Squeal Like Teenage Girls Sometimes
- 8. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!
- 9. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013