We've been so fascinated with Ilya Kovalchuk and his summer-long contract drama that we haven't paid much attention to the Rangers and their (far less eventful) negotiations with Marc Staal. The defenseman is a restricted free agent — one who has not received an offer sheet from Calgary, contrary to rumors — and the two sides were far apart in their negotiations earlier in the summer. (Glen Sather called it a "chasm" back in June.) But a source tells the Record's Andrew Gross that Staal and the Rangers are getting "closer" to an agreement, and Steve Zipay of Newsday also reports that the sides are talking, though nothing is necessarily imminent. Training camp, by the way, opens next Friday.
Photo: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images
- 1. The Highs and Lows of The Sound of Music Live
- 2. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 3. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 4. 30 of the Best Ponytails in History
- 5. The Whispered Attacks That Could Sink This Year's Oscar Contenders
- 6. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 7. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 8. 17 Awesome and Inspiring Facts About Nelson Mandela
- 9. Shonda Rhimes Talks Scandal’s Brutal Season 3 and the Issue of Likability