If you watched his post-match interview, you know that Janko Tipsarevic, the giant killer who dispatched Andy Roddick last night at the Open, sports a cryptic tattoo in Japanese on his arm. What he didn't say, when asked about it, is that it's a quote from Dostoyevsky: "Beauty will save the world." In fact, judging from this list of his "favorite books of all-time" on his website, Janko is something of a house intellectual on the ATP Tour, with a distinctly proto-existential bent.
(this is copied direct from the site, complete with awkward translations)
1. Genealogy of Morality F. Nietzsche
2. On the Other Side of Good and Evil
3. The Idiot [source of the quote]
4. Writings from the Underground
5. Counsels and Maxims A. Schopenhauer
No word yet on whether during his next match — against a Frenchman (Gael Monfils), no less — he plans to puff Gauloises during changeovers.