Back in April, right after the NFL Draft, we declared quarterback John Skelton the official Favorite Athlete of the Sports Section. Why? Because Skelton played for Joe's Fordham Rams in college and was drafted by our Buzzsaw That Is the Arizona Cardinals. He has been the Cards' third-string quarterback all season, but yesterday, after Derek Anderson and Max Hall spent most of a loss to the Rams attempting to replace divots in the University of Phoenix Stadium turf, Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt put Skelton in the game. And he wasn't bad! The stats weren't great — 3-of-6 for 45 yards, zero TDs, zero INTs — but as someone who was watching the game, we assure you, he was the only quarterback on that team who could throw a ball farther than fifteen yards. He even nailed Larry Fitzgerald with the best pass a Cardinals quarterback has thrown all year. It's not known if Skelton will start for the 3–9 Cardinals next week against Denver, but if he does, a Fordham quarterback — a Fordham quarterback! — will be an NFL starting quarterback. For the Arizona Cardinals. The Sports Section swoons.
Photo: Scott Boehm/Getty Images
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 3. 12 Years a Slave and the Obama Era
- 4. What’s New on Netflix Streaming This Month: December 2013
- 5. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 6. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 7. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 8. Mexican Gunmen Who Stole Truck Will ‘Without a Doubt’ Die From Radiation
- 9. Who Knows What Men Want on OkCupid — Men or Women?