Yesterday, Steve Smith — who reportedly wanted to remain with the Giants — signed a one-year, $4 million contract with, of all teams, the Philadelphia Eagles. (The Giants were reportedly skeptical that Smith, who had microfracture knee surgery in December, would be able to return before mid-season.) But Pat Hanlon, the team's vice-president of communications, doesn't want to hear any more pessimism about this off-season from fans on Twitter. And last night, his insistence that fans just calm down a little led to some entertaining exchanges.
Here are some of our favorites, all from giantspathanlon last night:
• 10:58 p.m.: Re-build my ass! I got your re-build. RT @bbhkf78: All teams need to rebuild at one point, I'm not going to panic until the season begins
• 11:03 p.m.: Can you say we're worse, knucklehead? RT @StevenMurray10: can you say definitively the Giants are better than last year?
• 11:04 p.m.: Thanks Lombardi. Cause I know you know. RT @Teneford: @giantspathanlon Giants off-season can be summed up w/ one word: Debacle.
• 11:23 p.m.: This is great. We usually get to play two regular season games before people tell us we aren't worth a shit.
• 11:34 p.m.: We don't play on paper. You know what you can do w/ that paper? RT @BarstoolScott: on paper they ARE worse. no matter who signs your checks
• 11:34 p.m.: Not at all, George Halas RT @giantfootballs: @giantspathanlon have you not forgotten past years collapses.
And our favorite, not so much a response to a hater, but one that's funny in its own right:
• 11:37 p.m.: What does PWNing mean? RT @noahjgold: While I may disagree w/ his feelings on team, @giantspathanlon is completely PWNing Twitter right now
It's not the first time Hanlon's Twitter feed has made headlines. (You might recall his thoughts on Rex Ryan's book earlier this year.) And there's more, too, though he eventually changes gears and begins replying to the positive-thinkers who believe the sky isn't actually falling. But you get the idea.