Skip to content, or skip to search.

Skip to content, or skip to search.


Dwight Gooden Watched the 1986 Mets Parade From a Drug Dealer’s Apartment

FLUSHING, NY - OCTOBER 19: Pitcher Dwight Gooden #16 of the New York Mets rears backbefore firing a pitch during Game Two of the World Series against the Boston Red Sox at Shea Stadium on October 19, 1986 in Flushing, New York.  The Red Sox defeated the Mets 9-3. (Photo by Focus on Sport/Getty Images)

This month marks 25 years since the Mets won the 1986 World Series, and fans have been taking the opportunity to look back at some of the best moments of that memorable postseason: Lenny Dykstra's walk-off in Game Three of the NLCS against Houston, for instance, or the Mets' win in Game Six of that series. Today marks the anniversary of a Mets loss: Game Two of the World Series, in which Dwight Gooden was shelled and the Red Sox took a 2-0 series lead. But Gooden's name is in the news today, not for anything he did in that game, but for something that happened a couple of weeks later.

In an interview with ESPN's E:60, set to air tonight, Gooden talks about why he missed the team's victory parade, saying that he didn't actually oversleep, but rather wound up watching it from a drug dealer's apartment. From ESPN New York:

"Then you know what time you have to be at the ballpark to go into the city for the parade, but I'm thinking, 'OK, I got time.' And the clocks, I mean the rooms are spinning. I said, 'OK, I'll leave in another hour.' Then the next thing you know the parade's on and I'm watching the parade on TV."

If this month serves as a chance for Mets fans to remember one of the greatest seasons they (or anyone) will ever see, this story also reminds us of one of the sport's all-time "what-could-have-been" players. But Gooden, who is currently serving probation for a 2010 traffic incident, tells ESPN that he's been clean now for seven months. E:60 airs at 8 p.m. tonight, just as this year's Series gets underway.

Photo: Focus On Sport/Getty Images