Kevin Kolb missed yesterday's Cardinals-Browns game with a concussion, which meant that John Skelton — The Sports Section's official favorite athlete for reasons explained here — got yet another start for Arizona. And once again, the Cardinals pulled out a victory. They're now 5-1 in games in which Skelton has appeared — he started five of those games, and entered the other in the first quarter — and the 20-17 victory over Cleveland puts them back at .500 for the first time since Week 2. Arizona put up ten points in the fourth quarter to force overtime yesterday, then, after a Cleveland punt, Skelton hit Larry Fitzgerald on a third-down pass for a 32-yard gain, setting up Jay Feely's game-winning field goal. Skelton's numbers on the day: 313 yards on 28-for-46 passing, one touchdown, and one interception. There's no guarantee that Skelton would start a playoff game should the Cardinals sneak in — Kolb is still the starter long-term, assuming he's healthy — but with two games left, Arizona does still have a chance at a postseason berth. They'll need some help, sure, but they're alive, nonetheless.
Photo: Christian Petersen/2011 Getty Images
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Netflix Adultery Afflicts Half of Relationships, Says Netflix
- 3. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 4. Kim Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament
- 5. Could Harvey Weinstein Make History With Three Black Best Actor Oscar Candidates?
- 6. Take Vulture’s Arrested Development Superfan Quiz
- 7. Cannes Day 3: Marion Cotillard, Eva Longoria, and an Extraordinary Dress Made of Biscuit Trays
- 8. Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- 9. Kids in the Hall Alum Scott Thompson on Hannibal and Why Being Gay Is Now Boring