You really never know when someone will find an excuse to take a dig at poor A-Rod. And though it will be hard to top the Post using the occasion of Muammar Qaddafi’s death to make fun of the Yankees' third baseman, this week, it was Donald Trump’s turn. Via the Daily News, on Sunday's episode of Trump’s Celebrity Apprentice, Trump praised Debbie Gibson (of “Foolish Beat” fame) for saying that she didn’t care about receiving individual credit as long as her team won. Said Trump: “That’s all about winning; that’s a Derek Jeter–type statement. We love Derek. That’s not an A-Rod statement; it’s a Derek statement.” Ugh. Aside from the obvious ridiculousness of all of this — being indirectly called self-interested by Donald Trump is like having your haircut insulted by, well, Donald Trump — this idea that Jeter’s the good guy and A-Rod’s the bad guy is just so tired. Perhaps we’re just an A-Rod apologist, but the guy did switch positions in the prime of his career, and while, say, kissing a mirror in a photo shoot demonstrates a stunning lack of media savvy, it’s not exactly putting himself above the team. We have no doubt both of these guys want their team to win just like we have no doubt that neither minds all the praise they've gotten over their careers. (There's nothing wrong with that, by the way.) And for the record, A-Rod’s just as capable of saying that the team winning is what really matters. Said Rodriguez, for instance, after a particularly impressive five-for-five, four-RBI day during the Yankees' most recent World Series season: “As long as we win it feels good.” That A-Rod — he’s such a Jeter!
Photo: Nick Laham/Getty Images
- 1. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 2. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 3. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 4. Man of Steel City Damage Professionally Estimated
- 5. Dan Harmon Got Rehired for Community for the Same Reason He Got Fired
- 6. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]
- 7. Miami Heat Fans Leave Game Early, Beg to Get Back in After Incredible Rally, Are the Worst
- 8. Serena Williams Issues Pathetic Non-Apology [Updated]
- 9. Serena Williams Thinks Steubenville Rape Victim ‘Shouldn’t Have Put Herself in That Position’ [Update]