We are never exactly sure which New York City–area colleges we are supposed to be covering on this here site; the college basketball tour was limited to schools within city limits, but we'll touch on Rutgers, St. Peter's, even Syracuse when need be. So we're going to go ahead and get excited for the Stony Brook Seawolves. The college, which is a jaunty LIRR ride and shuttle bus away, is hardly known for its athletics — its biggest moment was hosting an NIT game against Illinois a couple of years ago — but they had their brightest moment yet yesterday: Their baseball team beat LSU in their subregional, and now Stony Brook is going to the College World Series. It's their first trip there ever; they didn't even make it when Rangers closer Joe Nathan played for them. (The Seawolves' home field is named after Nathan.) It's pretty crazy to look at the bracket of teams in the CWS so far. You've got Florida and UCLA and Florida State and Arizona and ... Stony Brook. The CWS begins on Omaha on Friday. Never doubt a Seawolf.
- 1. Warning: You Will Cry a Little When You Watch This Oklahoma Woman Find Her Dog in the Rubble
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. 5 Insane Videos of the Tornado in Moore, Oklahoma
- 4. Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner on Sansa’s Wedding Day and Drunk Tyrion
- 5. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 6. Arrested Development’s 20 Most Meta Meta-Moments
- 7. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 8. Oklahoma Woman Has to Leave State Now, Forever, Thanks to Wolf Blitzer
- 9. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig