Howard Beck of the Times reports that J.R. Smith will decline the 2012-2013 option in his Knicks contract. Smith has until Tuesday to decide and will reportedly opt out of the guaranteed $2.4 million and try to re-sign with the Knicks at a slight raise. By way of Smith's non-Bird rights, New York can pay him 20 percent more than they did last year (about $2.8 million) without eating into the MLE that we discussed earlier today. Of course, if Smith wishes to seek more money elsewhere, this also leaves that option open. Beck's report suggests that Smith's priority is to return to New York, though. Here's to more fade-away jumpers, Instagram photos, and late-night bike rallies!
Photo: Issac Baldizon/NBAE via Getty
- 1. Congressional Republicans Reveal Secret Love for Obamacare
- 2. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 3. Sons of Anarchy’s Kurt Sutter on the Season-6 Finale and What’s Next for Jax and Gemma
- 4. Adam Levine’s Third Victoria’s Secret Model Girlfriend Gets a Ring
- 5. Sons of Anarchy’s Maggie Siff on Tara and Jax, and the Heartbreaking Season-6 Finale
- 6. Dakota Fanning Looked Like a Luxe Chanel Piñata
- 7. Congress Reaches Deal to End Budget Chaos, Angers Conservatives
- 8. Michelle Not Actually Mad at Obama Selfie, Says Photographer
- 9. And This Year’s SAG Award Nominees Are ...