So the Knicks could potentially be signing Chris Andersen, the extravagantly tattooed former Nuggets power forward. ESPN New York's Jared Zwerling says Andersen's up for the veteran's minimum — all the Knicks can offer — and it helps that he's repped by CAA, unofficial assistant general manager for the Knicks. You remember Chris Andersen, right? If not, five Chris Andersen factoids.
1. Six years ago, he was banned by the NBA for two years for a banned substance. It's not known exactly what the substance was, but the two-year ban implied something stronger than marijuana or steroids. He returned in 2008 and signed a five-year contract with the Nuggets the next season.
2. The Nuggets amnestied him about two weeks ago, after a season in which he averaged 5.3 points per game and 4.6 rebounds per game. He has never actually averaged in double figures in either category his entire career.
3. He endorses ink, not mink.
4. In May, police searched Andersen's home and computer involving alleged reports of child pornography. Andersen was never charged with anything, and no one else who lived in his home was either.
5. He has not actually appeared in an NBA game since March 15 of last year.
So, uh, maybe the minimum is too much?