The last time we checked in with A.J. Burnett, he was giving up twelve runs in 2 2/3 innings. We all had a good laugh about that, but since then, it's been impossible to deny that Burnett has turned into the pitcher the Yankees always dreamed he could be. Last night he took a no-hitter into the eighth inning of a 5-0 shutout of the Cubs, and his ERA is down to 3.27. He's 13-3 on the year and has been a savior for a team that would comfortably have a wild-card spot if the season ended today. You were right all along: A.J. Burnett just never fit in the Bronx. It'll be fun when the Pirates and the Yankees meet in the World Series and he pitches at Yankee Stadium.
Photo: Jeff Curry/Getty Images
- 1. The Real Reason Twentysomething Women Are Worried
- 2. Can You Guess Famous 30 Rock Quotes From Just a GIF or Freeze-Frame?
- 3. ‘Breathe Me’: The Oral History of the Six Feet Under Finale’s Death Montage
- 4. What the Hell Is David Brooks’s Column About?
- 5. Interview: Blake Lively on the Cheesecake Factory, Gucci, and Her New Website
- 6. See Every Absurd Outfit Jennifer Love Hewitt Wears on Season One of The Client List
- 7. Bloomberg Reacts to Heartbreaking Story of Homeless Girl: ‘That’s Just the Way God Works’
- 8. Shia LaBeouf Apologizes for Ripping Off Daniel Clowes
- 9. ‘Splat!’: The Oral History of Sex and the City’s Most Shocking Episode