Arizona Cardinals quarterback John Skelton, official athlete of The Sports Section and Fordham alum, got his first big Opening Day start yesterday. Yay! And then, well, everything went wrong. First off, he played terribly, particularly in the third quarter, in which he completed one pass and the Cardinals only notched one first down. Then, in the fourth quarter, he made a terrific pass when the Cardinals were trying to come back ... and he severely sprained his ankle, an injury that at first glance looked a lot worse. To cap it all off, Kevin Kolb, the man he beat out for the starting spot in the preseason, brought the Cardinals back to win in that fourth quarter once Skelton was out. So, Skelton played lousy, got hurt, and may have lost his starting job. Rough day. He's still our hero.
Photo: Norm Hall/Getty Images
- 1. The Highs and Lows of The Sound of Music Live
- 2. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 3. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 4. The Whispered Attacks That Could Sink This Year's Oscar Contenders
- 5. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 6. 30 of the Best Ponytails in History
- 7. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 8. 17 Awesome and Inspiring Facts About Nelson Mandela
- 9. Shonda Rhimes Talks Scandal’s Brutal Season 3 and the Issue of Likability