Via the Times, Valentine was riding his bike in the park yesterday when he read the text from Pedroia, looked up, and had to swerve to avoid the umbrellas of two French tourists walking in front of him. (He ended up in a ditch next to the reservoir and sustained minor injuries.) This now becomes the second most famous text message of the 2012 Red Sox season, after the one sent from Adrian Gonzalez's phone criticizing none other than Bobby V to Red Sox management. Anyway, tonight may well be Bobby V's last game as Red Sox manager. If you're heading up to the stadium to say good-bye, be sure to grab tonight's promotional giveaway item, a schedule magnet listing next year's games. It's sponsored by itcanwait.com, a campaign to warn of the dangers of texting and driving. Perhaps a spinoff campaign to warn of the dangers of reading texts while biking is in order. We know just the spokesperson, and we suspect he'll be looking for work soon.
Photo: Greg Fiume/Getty Images
- 1. 17 Awesome and Inspiring Facts About Nelson Mandela
- 2. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 3. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 4. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 5. James Bond Shoots Child in Today’s Most Unfortunate Subway Ad Placement
- 6. Seven Ways Tonight’s The Sound of Music Will Differ From the Classic Film
- 7. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 8. What Thirteen People Wore to Their Interview With Anna Wintour
- 9. The Whispered Attacks That Could Sink This Year's Oscar Contenders