New York is so pedestrian-identified that it comes as a surprise to discover a car culture as passionate as any other metropolis (yes, we mean you, Los Angeles). In thirteen pages of car information, we reveal the frustrations of an urban grease monkey, find the best used-car salesman in New York, read the diary of one of our editors who “commuted” from his East Village apartment to our midtown office in various luxury cars, and talk to teenager Ben Sann, founder of the invaluable Website nycgarages.com. Don’t yet have the budget for your dream car? Get a mini version at Exoticar Model Company (280 Park Ave., nr. 48th St.; 212-573-9537); there are thousands to choose from, including the popular 1/43 scale models shown here (from $29) The only detail they’re missing: parking tickets.
You don’t have to own a car to gear up.
- Best Bets: Road-Worthy Accessories
- Look Book: A Special Automotive Edition
- Illumination of Manhattan Parking-Garage Rates
- The Latest in Parking Theory
- Confessions of an Urban Grease Monkey
- Test Your Car-Part IQ
- A Buyer's Guide to Cars for Urban Drivers
- The City's Best Used-Car Salesman
- The Decadent Commute: Driving in Style